What IS The Doctrine Of Eternal Security Of A Believer In Christ?
This Doctrine is also referred to by many as ‘Once Saved. Always Saved.’ or ‘OSAS‘ It is a topic of big debate within many of the Christian community of believers. The questions of this debate are:
- Are we saved only through belief and faith in Christ’s finished work at the cross where He paid the penalty and took upon Himself the punishment for the sins of the whole world? Or do we need to add other requirements like doing good deeds and religious rituals? What about following the Ten Commandments?
- Are we responsible for the sins we commit after our moment of belief on Christ for our Salvation or do we have to ask for forgiveness of every sin we commit or risk losing our Salvation?
- If a person accepts the free gift of Salvation through Christ but then afterward just lies a carnal life does he lose his Salvation?
- If a person believes on Christ but then decides later to walk away from the faith does he forfeit his Salvation and become lost?
Is Salvation by belief alone on the atonement provided by the only begotten Son of God, Jesus Christ? Or do we need to add to our belief other aspects such as ‘doing good works’ or ‘being a good person’ or ‘doing religious rituals’ or ‘following the Law of Moses and Ten Commandments’ for our justification to be complete? This is the very same debate that was going on with the Galatians who had some false teachers telling them that belief on Christ alone in faith is not enough and that returning to following the Law of Moses was also required. Paul had a very strong rebuke for believing this lie and writes,
“I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the GRACE OF CHRIST unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would PERVERT the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, LET HIM BE ACCURSED.” (Galatians 2:6-8 KJV)
“Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.” (Galatians 2:16 KJV)
The Doctrine of Eternal Security is not only Biblical; it is Essential! IN defense of this central Doctrine of the Bible here are a list of Bible study articles related to this topic that seem to always come up and cause confusion. It is a list of Bible studies that grows with time as I experience people teaching that OSAS is not Biblical to help people come to understand the truth from the Bible in proper context.
⇒ Doctrine Of Eternal Security (OSAS)
- Are Good Works & Never Sinning Required To Be Saved?
- Eternal Security: Things God Must Do To Unsave A Person, by Rosario DiPeri.
- Is The Doctrine Of Sinless Perfection Biblical?
- Does the Letter of Jude Refute OSAS?
- Revelation 22:19: ‘God shall take away his part out of the book of life’
- Hebrews 3:12: ‘departing from the living God’
- Hebrews 5:9: ‘eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;’
- Hebrews 6: ‘impossible for those who were once enlightened’
- Hebrews 10:26-31: ‘If We Sin Willfully’
- Matthew 7:23: ‘Ye That Worketh Iniquity’
- 2 Peter 2: 20-21: ‘it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness‘
- James 2: 15-17: ‘Faith Without Works Is Dead’
- 1 John 1:9: ‘IF we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins’
- 1 John 1: 6-10: ‘If we say that we have fellowship with him, and WALK IN DARKNESS, we lie, and do not the truth‘
- 1 John 3:9: ‘Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin’
- John 8: ‘go and sin no more’
- Matthew 6:14-15: ‘neither will your Father forgive your trespasses‘
- 1 Corinthians 6: 9-10: ‘shall not inherit the kingdom of God’
- 2 Corinthians 7:10: ‘not to be repented of’
- Luke 9:62: ‘not fit for service’
- Rev 3:16: ‘spue you out of my mouth’
- Galatians 5: ‘shall not inherit the kingdom of God’
- Ezekiel 3:17-19: ‘but his blood will I require at thine hand’
- Matthew 18: ‘So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.‘
- John 15:6: ‘If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.‘
- Matthew 6:14-16: ‘But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.’
- John 14:15: ‘keep my commandments’
- 1 Peter 1:3-5: ‘to be revealed in the last time.’
- Matthew 5:48: ‘Be perfect’
- Matthew 10:33: ‘whosoever shall deny me’
- Philippians 2:12: ‘work out your own salvation’
- Luke 9:62: ‘not fit for service’
- Romans 11:16-23: ‘otherwise thou also shalt be cut off‘
- Is The Sacrament of Penance Taught By The Roman Catholic Church Biblical?
- Can a Believer Renounce His Faith In Christ And Then Be Unsaved?
- Zechariah 3:1-4: Robes of Righteousness
?? Have you encountered a Scripture that seems to refute OSAS?
Email it and eventually it may be answered here in a Bible study.