MATTHEW 24 and 25 ARE NOT ABOUT THE CHURCH NOR THE RAPTURE
Context shows that the end time prophecies of Matthew are not about the CHURCH, the Bride of Christ. Jesus is addressing the nation of Israel as King of the Jews, not as Head of the Bride of Christ (The Church).
1. When Jesus spoke these things, the church did not even exist.
The Disciples knew nothing of the church when Jesus was speaking to them in Matthew 24 and 25. That knowledge only came after Jesus’ ascension when Apostle Paul revealed the mystery of the Rapture event.
2. The words used show the proper context in Matthew 24 as being addressed to the Jewish people of Israel.
Jesus uses words such as JUDEA. Not Florida, England etc. He is very specific and that is in Israel. He mentions Daniel’s prophecy of 70 weeks and there is still 7 years left to be fulfilled. He mentions when this last 7 years starts calling it “the beginning of sorrows”. In verse 29, Jesus is very clear that these prophecies are about those who survived THE TRIBULATION under the Antichrist.
3. Even when we look at Daniel’s 70 weeks that Jesus mentions in Matthew 24 it states clearly who the prophecy is about.
It is not the church.. it is for Israel.
“24 Seventy weeks are determined upon THY PEOPLE and upon THY HOLY CITY, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.” (Daniel 9:24 KJV)
⇒Who was Daniel’s people? The Jews of Israel, the Holy City.
I have seen some ‘Bible prophecy teachers’ using Matthew 24 and 25 as if it is all about the Pre Tribulation Rapture of the church but they are wrong and the context is clear. Some use Matthew 25 as a Rapture passage as well but IT IS NOT. The very first word of Matthew 25 is the word THEN… so WHEN is the THEN? Matthew never had chapter and verse. That was added for our benefit of study and Matthew is to be read as one continuous writing.
So we need to go BACKWARD into Matthew 24 to see WHEN is the THEN and that brings us back to verse 29 again and it is AFTER the Tribulation.
“29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:” (Matthew 24:29 KJV)
A great overview by DR. ARNOLD on this topic:
- What Is The Rapture?
- Will The Antichrist Be Revealed Before The Rapture?
- Matthew 24:35-37, Is This Really About The Rapture?
- Matthew 24:40-41, Is This Really About The Rapture?
- Is The Parable Of The Ten Virgins (Matthew 25) About The Rapture?
- ‘No One Knows The Day Nor The Hour’ – Is This Really About The Rapture?